Friday, December 11, 2009

Operation Christmas Child Stories

I meant to share this a few weeks ago but I have not gotten a chance yet.  You all know we participated in Operation Christmas Child for the second time this year!  We went to drop off our two shoe boxes on our way to Birmingham for Thanksgiving.  Our drop off point was a large church in Auburn and I asked the ladies if I could take a few pictures while I was there and they were so nice and said "of course"!  So I wanted to share with ya'll and show you.

These are boxes that are full waiting to be picked up to travel all over the world

 


Checking my two (green boxes) o.k. so they are a little full but she had rubberbands to go around them

My boxes with some  others waiting to loaded up to start their journey to make a child smile

Discard my face!  I just wanted to show you my stickers.  This was early and I did not fix my hair nor apparently had I fixed my face! at this point.  This is real life people and as I blog this I don't have time to edit this photo to make me look better nor do I think there is a program that would help!  This location said that they had recieved over 3,000 boxes on the day before the last day when I dropped off.  Last year they had reacieved over 5,000.  They knew they would be down some because of the economy.  I had blogged before that I am going to collect things as I see them on sale or have coupons for toiletries (you can normally get most free with coupons especially the travel size) through the year that way we will not have to go buy around the holidays.  Hopefully all of you will join in next year!

I also wanted to share this email with you.  My Dad's wife who works for the Board of Education in the county where I went to school sent me this.  This is from the High School I attended.


Chelsea Students Help with Operation Christmas Child Project


A group of 44 National Honor Society members from Chelsea High School, eight parents, and teacher sponsors Carlene Hooper and Nancy Stroup traveled to Atlanta, GA on December 4 to work at the Operation Christmas Child distribution center.  This ministry, began by Franklin Graham, enables thousands of children in some of the world's poorest countries to receive a Christmas box filled with joy and hope.  Over 850,000 shoe boxes prepared by civic clubs, churches, and individuals had been packed for children.

Students processed each box, removing donations made for shipping expenses.  They also removed items that cannot go into certain countries and   replaced those items with other suitable items.  Finally, they helped tape and pack boxes into crates to get them ready to be shipped all over the world.  The Atlanta Distribution is one of six located in the United States.  This was the third annual trip made by Chelsea High School's National Honor Society. 

"It's amazing to think that what we did here today will make such a big difference in a child's life," said student Lauren Swee.

 "Everyone was overwhelmed at the generosity of so many Americans, and, indeed, agreed that they discovered  the true meaning of Christmas in a huge, drafty warehouse in Atlanta," said teacher sponsor Nancy Stroup.

Cas's Mom also said the had a lady in a local church (his Dad is a preacher) come to some of the churches and speak to try to get some involvement from the members for this charity. She had been a recipient of a shoe box when she was young and the thing she was most grateful for was a wash cloth and soap that she received!  Wow things we all use everyday I really hope!  Hopefully this will inspire you ahead f time for next year!  Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Swidget 1.0